What Do We Mean by Records Management Program Ownership?
Ownership refers to how information technology and lines of business executives collaborate to establish guidelines on:
- What constitutes a record to begin with
- Who the internal champion(s) and/or primary stakeholders are in the project
- Where records need to be stored along all stages of their lifecycle and when they can be deleted or destroyed, in context with industry and legal standards
- Why records might need to be collected, held for audit, or made available for evidentiary purposes
- How to implement your records management plan, be it in incremental phases or as a massive, cross-organizational rollout all at once